Sunday, June 14, 2009

My New Career

So training is underway. I am practice teaching in the morning and then in class in the afternoon. I am surrounded by talented educators and people like me who have come from a variety of backgrounds and are all committed to making a difference for the children of New Orleans.

I have also secured a job as a 7th grade English teacher which I am very excited about. The school runs 6-12 grade and I will have the chance to help them get a debate team off the ground and participate in other student activities if I choose.

The city continues to be a learning experience for me. It is so hot here, which is an adjustment and people are very warm (also an adjustment from Boston). The French Quarter is brimming with tourists all the time and i have yet to find replacements for my go to restaurants in Boston...I am so missing the Mooo mac and cheese right now...I know I have only been gone for 2 weeks but it feels like forever. It feels like EMI and Boston and all that was like my life 10 years ago, which I guess is a good thing.

I want to thank all my friends and family who I have heard from since I left. While I am excited to be a new place, meeting new people there is no replacement for old, good friends...so thank you!

1 comment:

Infinitea said...

You get to help start the debate team? that's awesome, Meleena! I'm just a little jealous.

once and always a debater, right?

ashley