Saturday, June 20, 2009

Being Present

So the really interesting thing about New Orleans is that everyone is ridiculously present. There isn't the planning that goes on in Boston. People don't think much about what is happening next until next happens. There is something really relaxing and calm about the city and the people.

Work is busy. I spend my mornings teaching and then have a short break and then am in class all afternoon. By the time I get home, finish lesson planning for the next day and eat dinner it's almost time to go to bed. Normally being that busy would make time feel like it is flying by...but here, it doesn't feel that way. I know I have only been here for about two weeks. Only left Boston 3 weeks ago...but it feels like a lifetime ago.

New Orleans isn't home yet. But without meaning to I think I found the place that allows me to just enjoy today...and not get caught up in the "what's next" thinking that has plagued me my whole life.

No comments: