Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Promising Public Happiness

The Foursquare website told me today that "happiness was just around the corner" when I watched their video to see how their website worked. And it got me thinking about the old saying "if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one their to hear it does it make a sound?"

It seems like a more updated version of this today would be to say: "if I experience happiness and I don’t tell anyone did I really experience happiness?"

If I don’t Tweet it or blog it or Facebook it or Foursquare it or Gmail chat it or whatever it is I’m doing did I really experience that moment of happiness?

Is it possible anymore to just experience happiness on our own or are we so tied into social networking and social media and the need to constantly communicate with everyone we know about where we are and what we are doing that our happiness is someone how tied to our ability to share it. What about unhappiness? Can that still be experienced alone...or does it also have to enter a public forum before it can become real?

No comments: