Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Construct of our Failures

I have been thinking a lot since I moved back north about how we recognize the milestones we DON'T reach. The job not gotten, the course not completed, the relationship ending. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that our lives are far more a construct of our failures then our successes.

When I first articulated this to Huey he put his head in his hands and said "oh Pookey..." in a sad voice. He had asked me why I was once again re-reading a Jodi Piccoult book, an author who, while I own everything she has ever written I don't like. And I had told him I was reading it because it reminded me of the failure in my own life to become a writer - and maybe it was that failure in addition to the many other that define me today. I had not meant it as a flashback to unhappy teen years, or that I was disappointed in how my life had turned out. Simply that the failures I have experienced, and, despite wanting to think otherwise, they have been many, have done more to shape me than the successes had.

We get a promotion and go out for a drink to celebrate, take on the new responsibilty, work longer hours, spend more time away from our friends and family, make more money and call it a success. We lose our job due to downsizing, are unemployed for 6 months, rack up credit card debt, put a strain on our marriage, spend more time watching our kids play baseball, become an expert in something that used to be a hobby, find our life more meaningful then ever before and call it a failure.

This isn't about blind optimism and it's not about seeing a silver lining on clouds. It's about taking a good look at who we are, who we were and who we want to be and recognizing that sometimes we need to fail in order to get where we want to go.

Huey came around to my way of thinking when it occurred to him that even our relationship was the result of a series of failures in both of our lives...had either of us not experienced even one, we never would have met and today would look very different.

So how do we measure the milestones we don't reach? By remembering them, and by recognizing what we have gained or learned in our failure to reach them. My life is a construct of my failures...and I feel pretty good about that.

No comments: