Saturday, January 4, 2014

It's not an Autobiography...

So The Day the Rain Came was published about a week ago.  I wrote it almost 20 years ago.  It is the real voice of a 15 year old girl...but it is fiction.   It is not my story.

The main character is dear to my heart...like an old friend I haven't seen in a while but who I would like to find on Facebook.  I put her through a lot...took a lot from her...and left her with less then she started with.  She has my voice, but she is not me.

The thing that has been interesting to me is that I have this feeling that if anyone I know reads it...and that in and of itself is a big "if"...I think they will think it is based on my life.  And suddenly that makes me feel very exposed.  Because Ashlyn has struggled through a lot and some of the things she has had to face aren't comfortable topics for people.  Perhaps the upside is maybe it will help continue conversations about sexual abuse and rape, about violence in teen relationships, about how the culture of our society prefers to blame the victim still.

No comments: