Sunday, September 6, 2009

This City

So things have been hectic - work is busy and learning to wake up at 5am is a hard lesson at my age! The city is in full swing however. Mid-summer Mardi Gras was last weekend and let me just say if it is any indication of what we are in for in February best to strap in now and start looking for a costume...or at least some body paint and glitter as that seems to be the costume of choice.

This weekend is Summer Decadence which is basically the gay Mardi Gras which would have been cooler to experience if I had known that was going on. Instead I just spent most of yesterday afternoon being confused about the number of shirtless men in assless chaps. It's always something in this town I tell you.

Time is moving faster now, with each day marked with the sound of my heals walking down the metal ramp of the Middle School's trailer on my way to the cafeteria to oversee 200 6th and 7th graders eat eggs and tator tots and some sort of weird biscuit with meat cooked inside. The sun has only been up for an hour or so and the morning air is starting to feel cool. The summer feels like eons ago and as another Labor Day passes by I am filled with regret for all the days and months I wished away. For all the time I wasted. Not anymore.

No comments: