Saturday, September 5, 2026

i met myself for coffee

I met my 15 year old self for coffee. 
I was late and she said she was worried I wasn't coming.
I ordered a coffee with cream and she asked for a coke while she fiddled with an unopened pack of Marlboro Reds.
She asked if we were happy. She asked if it was all worth it.
I couldn't lie to her.

I met my 20 year old self for coffee. 
I was late and so was she.
I was sober and she was still crashing from the night before. I ordered a coffee with cream and she asked for a coke while she rolled an unlit parliament between her fingers.
She asked if her and her boyfriend where going to make it.
I told her the truth.

I met my 29 year old self for coffee.
She was on time and didnt notice I was late because she was answering emails on her Blackberry.
I ordered coffee with cream and she asked for a coke without looking up from her phone.
She asked what she was suppose to do now. If she was going to make the right choice.
I told her what I would never tell anyone else.

I met my 40 year old self for coffee.
She had two kids with her and I didnt recognize her when I arrived late. I ordered coffee with cream and so did she. And two hot chocolates for the kids. 
She begged me for the truth.  I wish I had told her.

No comments: